House Update: We're Stuck

I guess it's officially time for an update!

I've had this post started and in my drafts folder since October. But it's not a fun post to write, and I'm annoyed just thinking about it. However, per IG stories, it was unanimous that you wanted, nay, demanded, an update. Either you're all being polite... or nosy... (my money is on nosy) either way, the people have spoken! And I know I've said it before, but clearly you.are.my.people!

I wish I had good news like - "We break ground next week!" But alas, the only thing currently breaking are my new year's resolutions. 

Hashtag woe is me. 

So what is happening on the home front? We're kind of in a holding pattern. I have talked with builders, designers, architects, realtors, etc. to try and get an idea of where to start and what it is we actually want to do (and realistically what our budget is). Each convo started out the same, I gave them an exhaustive list of what my dream house would look like after we were done. Some people came back at us with a bid that we thought was a little high, until we talked to the next guy. Every one was more expensive. Topping out at around $550K. 

People.

If my budget, for the addition, was $550K... I would not be doing an addition. I'd tear this house down and build a brand new one. Or go buy my dream Christmas Tree Farm. Potato-potahto. 

We did eliminate a few things from the must-have list like the basement. The Mr. can finish (re-finish) that himself, we (I) just wanted to see what the cost would be to have it done all at once. Still up in the air is the 2nd story. In a perfect world we'd rework the layout to make 3 bedrooms, instead of 2 bedrooms and a loft. However, that requires reworking the roofline which of course is what costs the most. We (Gabe) would have no problem finishing off the attic spaces himself, or even moving a wall or two - but permit-wise we'd need the help with the roof line, and most contractors unfortunately won't stop after framing to let us finish it ourselves for warranty and insurance purposes. LAME.

What's the new plan? Most likely (who knows where we'll be three months from now) we will stick to the first floor, and open up the kitchen, add the master suite and additional living/dining area. We'll change the front bedroom to an office with French doors into the living room and the other bedroom will be combined to make the master suite. 

Where do we go from here? First we have to nail down our budget. Which is my least favorite part. 

Can someone please get me a Home Depot sponsorship already? 

I digress. 

Second we'll officially select who we want to do the work. Here's where we ran into another problem. All the companies we spoke with are slammed with work. People are home because of the pandemic and ready and willing to work on the home projects they've been putting off for who knows how long. Some companies have a 6 month wait list. 

#facepalm

With demand on the rise, supply costs have gone up crazy amounts. We're not talking a few dollars here and there, we're talking tens of thousands of dollars. 

Great time to start an addition project right? 

Blah. 

Timing is everything.


Comments

Popular Posts