House Tour (Before)

What a time to buy a house right? Luckily we closed prior to this Corona virus situation, but we had planned to do some major work for the two months before we moved in. Unfortunately that's not happening as we've been #socialdistancing, and now homeschooling our kids. Woof.

We're moving along slowly but surely, including taking a few things out and starting to refinish the floors. So before we got too crazy, I wanted to share a before tour. You can also check out a video tour saved in IG stories (@thepvcapecod), however my camera work is a little shaky. Although it was kind of therapeutic talking to myself while walking through the empty house.

Enjoy!

Exterior: We're planning on replacing the green shutters with black shutters, the green plus red brick is a little too Christmasy for me, and I love Christmas. I'm having a really hard time thinking about a door color - I don't like the white, but my beloved yellow door would most likely clash with the brick.  Is black too much? Send me your suggestions!




Backyard: We're gad that it's already fenced in, so Dash can run around and we won't have to worry. In a couple years we want to do an addition, so nothing will really happen with the back patios. In the grassy area there's room for a trampoline, that the Mr. has been promising our kids for years. For the record - I do not approve.




First floor: First up is refinishing the wood floors. I asked for opinions on dark vs. light stain, and it was a tie - so helpful! I'm leaning towards dark-er, not super dark. But I'm not a fan of oak. Only time will tell what we actually end up with. The bedrooms will get carpet, because I prefer carpets in the bedroom. Unpopular opinion? Maybe, but I don't like cold feet in the morning, and I don't like all the dust that collects on wood floors in the bedroom. Bathrooms and kitchen aren't high on the priority list yet because they'll get redone when we add-on. Fingers crossed anyways! 

You can also see the built-in in the first bedroom before we tore them out. I do like built-ins, but it was taking up too much prime real-estate in an already small bedroom. 








The dining room: We will refinish the floors, and we'll probably leave the wallpaper until we reconfigure the space with an addition. 

The kitchen: We'll have to do something about the flooring because the linoleum is in pretty rough shape. Not sure what we'll do with the mural for the time being, it's actually wallpaper (BOO). There's more cupboard space than meets the eye, it's just pretty cramped. 






The upstairs: It's pretty much a finished off loft. On both sides of the house is attic space that we'll finish off in to bedrooms and keep the middle as a loft space with desks, or crafts or something like that. There's also a full bath up there, however, it is only a tub - no shower. There aren't any outlets in there either so we'll have to deal with that too.

I actually don't mind the painted wood paneling, but unfortunately it's not in very good shape. We will most likely have to tear it all out. Can't wait for that time consuming project - ha.




The basement: is "finished", but we'll have to re-finish it. The carpet is old and nasty so that will get replaced. The corner in the back we'll finish off into a bedroom, and hopefully convert the powder room down there in to a full bath. 




Essentially we'll be re-doing the entire thing top to bottom. Bottom to top? Middle to outside? With everything going on, we don't have an official plan yet, just taking it day by day. We should be done maybe by the time Liam gets to high school...  wish us luck!

PS - if there's any interest, I may show a tour of our previous house we re-did!



Comments

Popular Posts